WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Pour Over Coffee Carafe (We recommend Chemex)
- Coffee Filters
- Hot Water Kettle (Preferably with a digital temperature readout)
- Grinder if using whole beans
- Digital Scale
2½ – 3 minutes
- Fill kettle with 600 grams (20 oz) of water and bring to a boil.
- Place pour over carafe on the scale and zero out.
- Place filter in the carafe and add 30 grams (about 3 tablespoons) of ground coffee. For best results, grind coffee to a coarseness resembling sea salt.
- Reset the scale to zero and start a timer.
- Pour in 60 grams of water in a circular motion to soak and clump the grounds so they “bloom.” This helps the coffee extract better and brings out the aroma.
- Wait 3 seconds, and continue pouring water in a circular motion until the scale reads approximately 450 grams.
- Complete steps 5 & 6 in under 3 minutes so the coffee doesn’t turn bitter.
Tip: Don’t let all the water filter through. Toss the filter as you start to near the end to avoid over-extracted coffee.